[webarch-websites] https://webarch-dev.host1.webarch.net/

Mark Nielsen m at m9n.uk
Thu Nov 20 11:21:09 GMT 2014

I second Jonathans ideas about trying to find good ways of communicating
that Webarch doesn't compete on cost or 24/7 availability - Webarch's
strengths are in ethical support of positive projects, and having a
personal relationship with a helpful human being, rather than 3rd tier call
centre staff.

FWIW, thought I'd share personal/subjective thoughts on costing...

On cost, I think Webarch are generally good. *A lot* of work was done on
costings a couple of years ago, including market research and costs
analysis.  The aim was to charge as little as possible to be competitive
whilst still trying to cover our costs.  From what I remember, there was
not much flexibility to go any cheaper.  The costings spreadsheets I worked
on should still be available if you want to revisit them.

Speaking as a Webarch client, I find Webarch's hourly rate to be
*extremely* competitive - about £45/hour I think? Compared with £90+/hour
from other sysadmin/development companies/agencies.  Coupled with the low
minimum charge for co-op members, that should be a big selling point.

I find Webarch's server costs to be a bit too high for me as a small
development firm.  I've got two VMs with Gandi which are about half the
cost for the same resources, and am likely to move more sites to Gandi and
downsize my Webarch VM as soon as I can get around to it.  I don't think
there's much Webarch can do about this. Gandi has economies of scale
Webarch can't compete with, and they have technologies which allow me to
scale my VMs up and down myself without needing tech support. I also have
enough sysadmin knowledge to be mostly self-sufficient - so I'm not typical
of Webarch's target hosting market, I don't think.

Don't know if any of that's helpful info, but there it is :)

M.