[webarch-websites] information architecture

Jonathan jonathan at webarch.net
Mon Nov 17 13:22:02 GMT 2014

OK Nick a lot to think about there:
A few comments inserted, see below
Cheers
Jonathan

On 17/11/14 12:45, Nick Hardiman wrote:

> Opinions please. These WA sites need to be clearly defined.
Agreed

>  1. https://ecohost.coop/
>  2. https://sysadmin.coop/
>  3. https://ecodissident.net/
>  4. https://www.webarch.net/
>
> How does this sound to you?
>

> https://ecohost.coop/ <https://ecohost.coop/>
> single page site offering various types of hosting.
OK

> story (this example is from Mark)
> "We work with your website team to take responsibility for security and
> traffic spikes, which means they don't get bogged down by server issues
> and can keep focused on design/development".
OK...nice of Mark to contribute that, but in my opinion perhaps a more
positive "story"  - I think it's the phrase "bogged down"  - We are
soliciting contributions now, so hopefully have more to choose from

> requires page migration. Move pages from
> * http://www.webarch.co.uk/hosting
> * http://www.ecodissident.net/virtual-servers
> * http://www.ecodissident.net/hosting
> * ecohost.coop/hosting-plans
Will it then still be clear that the hosting formerly on Ecodissident is
in Iceland? (And the significance/reason/security implications of this?)

> https://ecodissident.net/ <https://ecodissident.net/>
> single page site for...what?
> story
> ? If hosting information is removed, I'm not entirely sure what this
> site would be for. Perhaps a source of information for activists?

I LIKE that idea (info for activists) ...maybe with a big strapline
something like "Info service provided by Webarchitects co-operative,
which offers website hosting and system administration with
activist-level security"

> https://sysadmin.coop/
> single page site for advertising hourly sysadmin work.
>
> story
> Hire an experienced Linux sysadmin to support your organization.
> Our sysadmin joins your meetings, manages your machines, supports out of
> hours, ...

Hmmm ... I think I didn't like the word "hire" so I tried re-writing and
came up with this; slimmed-down:

We offer experienced expert Linux systems administration support for
your organization, its computers and online presence.

Any better? Or not?

> https://www.webarch.net/
> multi-page site for everything else. What a co-op is, who uses it, why
> its the best option for some customers
>
> story
> Working with a co-op is better because it focusses on collaboration, not
> profit.
>
> Add a co-op partner member facility. Features for investors, partners
> and workers (https://www.webarch.net/rules).
> * a page that lists members of our co-op who offer supporting services
> eg. web design work from mc3.coop, javascript work from , wordpress,
> drupal work from http://flet.org/.
>
> --
> On the tech side, each site gets its own git repository and nikola page
> generation.

All sounds good.... and I suppose the various sites will have prominent
"buy now" links to that first one (Ecohost)?