[webarch-websites] various website developments

Jonathan jonathan at webarch.net
Mon Nov 24 13:46:36 GMT 2014

Thanks Mark that's really helpful to see it from your point of view.

So do we have two main "types" of customers:- ?

The skilled type like Mark: we'd be less likely to get any server sales
from them but they are easy to work with. almost as co-workers, and they
value our sysadmin/devt role and are happy to pay for that help.

The rest (80%+  ??) who are less technical; happy to pay our server
prices not least because of the human tech support (and ethics)

  - - - -

I suppose I like Chris's idea of charging for anything that takes time
(installing up a CMS, creating email accounts, setting up DNS servers
etc) I wouldn't object if everyone else wants that change, but ... Is
this *mostly* at set-up stage? If so, we'd have to balance the goodwill
we now get for that initial bit of free help; against the potential
income, which would only be one-off income.

Thereafter, I feel they'd more happily pay for further *additonal* help
down the line when people are already our customers.

Going back to the set-up costs, are there some of these tasks that are
always quick (and so we could "throw in" as free incentives) - as
opoosed to some which always turn out to be time-consuming?

  - - - -

Re Adam's protocol
* sending out the invoices with the pay date clearly indicated
* if not paid by that date, sending out a polite reminder, and
* if that doesn't work, then redirecting the clients site to a page that
asks the client to please get in touch ?

It's a bit harsh but I wouldn't object, although PERHAPS with TWO or 3
polite reminders first

?

Jonathan