[Petal] Petal::Mail observations

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Fri Jan 16 15:56:01 GMT 2004

On Thu 15-Jan-2004 at 12:52:27 -0500, William McKee wrote:
> Hey JM,
>
> I'm still twisting my brain around setting up Petal::Mail. I'm working
> on a gui (Petal::Mail::Editor) but that project is on hold until I get
> some other work out the door and learn more about parsing XML (I'm
> thinking I'll be able to use the MKDoc::XML::TreeBuilder module to help
> me with this).

Errr... Be careful, MKDoc::XML is not exactly the best way in the world
to parse XML. However it is pure perl and probably quite speedy for a
pure perl XML parser.

> On another note, I realized that I could probably use P::M to process my
> email template then take the output of the process function and send it
> to a module such as Net::SMTP. I've attached a diff that includes some
> initial notes about this procedure.

Aha! Interesting. I'll take a look at this :)

> Please entertain my stupidity for including notes about looking for an
> smtp setting. It's quite common in modules that handle sending email
> and had me surfing around for about 10 minutes before I realized my
> foolishness.

I'm not sure to understand what you mean.

> Also, I noticed the docs for P::M 0.2 got borked at some point.The
> process function is defined 4 times. I didn't take on the
> redefinitions of the process function as each one seems to have
> different info and may be getting auto-generated or something from
> your end.

It's because I tried to apply a patch 4 times - That'll be fixed soon.

> +=head1 Petal::Mail & SMTP
> +
> +If you are looking for the SMTP setting as is common with other email modules,
> +you can stop here. Because Petal::Mail uses the sendmail client to process
> +outgoing, there is no need to set the smtp address since that should be
> +properly configured on your system.
> +
> +Should you need to send your message from a system that does not have a
> +sendmail client or is misconfigured, you can still use Petal::Mail. Instead of
> +using the send function, you will gather the results of the process function
> +and then send the output using a module such as L<Net::SMTP>.

Sounds about right :)

Building a better web - http://www.mkdoc.com/