[Petal] Petal::Mail observations

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Fri Jan 16 16:12:27 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 03:56:01PM +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Errr... Be careful, MKDoc::XML is not exactly the best way in the world
> to parse XML. However it is pure perl and probably quite speedy for a
> pure perl XML parser.

Thanks, I'll look out for any gotchas. But it must work.

> > On another note, I realized that I could probably use P::M to process my
> > email template then take the output of the process function and send it
> > to a module such as Net::SMTP. I've attached a diff that includes some
> > initial notes about this procedure.
>
> Aha! Interesting. I'll take a look at this :)

Right now it's just theory. However, it seems reasonable.

> > Please entertain my stupidity for including notes about looking for an
> > smtp setting. It's quite common in modules that handle sending email
> > and had me surfing around for about 10 minutes before I realized my
> > foolishness.
>
> I'm not sure to understand what you mean.

If you look at a module like Mail::Sendmail, there is a setting which
allows you to choose the ip address of the SMTP you want to use. I was
looking for this setting in P::M until I realized that it just punts to
the sendmail client. Hopefully my notes should clear this up. Please
augment/revise as you see fit.

Later,
William

--