[Petal] [Off topic] UTF8 errors

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Sun Sep 7 21:29:02 BST 2003

Hi all,

This evening I tried to upgrade my Apache/mod_perl server to Perl 5.8.0.
Upon doing so I received the following error in my logs:

-------------------------
[Sun Sep  7 17:29:15 2003] Error occurred in
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Petal.pm at line 386: Error
executing run mode 'display_form': [PETAL ERROR] Undefined subroutine
&Encode::_utf8_on called at (eval 79) line 11.
-------------------------

My searches of Google seem to indicate the 5.8.0 is defaulting into UTF8
mode and that my scripts will require some scrubbing before working
correctly in 5.8.0.

It sounds like some of the folks on this list have an understanding of
UTF8 in Perl. Could you enlighten me as to why I would receive the above
error and what would need to be modified in my scripts to prevent this
should I decide to upgrade to 5.8.0 in the future?

Thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.