[Petal] [IDEA] Hash with params

Evan Simpson evan at 4-am.com
Thu Sep 11 11:52:48 BST 2003

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> I was meaning for example x/prefix1:prefix2:stuff

That would depend on the implementation of 'prefix1', since it is
completely responsible for parsing its argument.  If it wants to look
for '<name>:' and treat it as a sub-prefix, that's fine.  I suppose that
in Petal it would be less of a problem to allow the path expression
parser handle stacked prefixes, since you can escape the second colon if
you want everything after the first colon passed to 'prefix1'.

>>That's not how we implement it, of course.
>
> ?

ZPTs compile all templates into a sort of bytecode, and create a
dictionary of defined macros and their slot names at compilation time.
When 'use-macro' is executed, the bytecode of the macro is called with
any 'fill-slot' bytecode for matching slot names as parameters.  It's
all irrelevent to the model, though.

> b/ Expand the includes at run-time

So, you don't plan to support the use of macros inside of macros?  We
use that all of the time.

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am