[Petal] [HELP] Anybody has experience with parsing?

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Thu Jun 12 12:09:15 BST 2003

> Yep - A simple rewrite, plus some simple added features.  Does what it
> says on the box ;-)
>
> I don't mind if you decide not to use the patch, but I'd appreciate it
> if you did preserve the functionality it added (ie: the tests).

Don't worry, I'll try to rip as much code as I can from your patch.
Seems to be the only thing I end up doing on Petal those days: ripping
and playing with patches and adding / running tests.

It's actually quite cool :)

> Sounds like Fergal & you are making lots of progress - wish I had more
> time to get involved!

*cough* Fergal _is_ making a lot of progress, I'm just starting to
understand Parse::RecDescent and he contributes an entirely alternative
code generator. Now how am I supposed to feel? Happy I guess :)

> Again, if I could choose how to influence Petal in any one way it would
> be to compare notes with the Template::Toolkit folk, and consider a
> move to Template::Petal.  I think both projects would benefit from it.

Mhhhhh... not so sure about that. I would rather move on the libXML /
SAX side of things than Template Toolkit. Basically I think in the long
run Petal should be able to:

* use SAX events as input to that it can parse just about anything,
* generate completely standalone Perl code
* this Perl code should generate SAX events too

I think it should also:

* be more extensible. It is already in a large extent but it would be
nice to turn the petal:<something> attributes into one module per
attribute type.

* have an augmented but also backwards compatible TALES syntax. Well,
apart from the escaping mechanism that is.

Maybe It's a bit ambitious?
Anyone has got an extra life to spare please? :-)

Building a better web - http://www.mkdoc.com/