[Petal] [HELP] Anybody has experience with parsing?

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Fri Jun 13 17:12:31 BST 2003

On Thursday 12 June 2003 11:09 am, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> > Sounds like Fergal & you are making lots of progress - wish I had more
> > time to get involved!
>
> *cough* Fergal _is_ making a lot of progress, I'm just starting to
> understand Parse::RecDescent and he contributes an entirely alternative
> code generator. Now how am I supposed to feel? Happy I guess :)

A slight exaggeration, my stuff still uses the original code generator and the
rest of the code I used is 6-9 months old, so please don't think I read your
email about and whipped up a solution in 5 minutes. I wish ;-)

Also, I've made several attempts in the past to squeeze my expression compiler
into Petal. Just finally got it working.

As for how you feel, I'd imagine it's the same as how I felt when I found
Petal, after writing about 90% of my own version!

> Mhhhhh... not so sure about that. I would rather move on the libXML /
> SAX side of things than Template Toolkit. Basically I think in the long
> run Petal should be able to:
>
> * use SAX events as input to that it can parse just about anything,
> * generate completely standalone Perl code
> * this Perl code should generate SAX events too

Sounds good, except I don't get the last one. At what point would Perl code be
generating SAX events?

> Anyone has got an extra life to spare please? :-)

Yes! unless I get a job soon...