[Petal] Hi Petal Users!

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Tue Jan 14 16:03:57 GMT 2003

> There are a couple of things I wish petal did, but as far as stability goes
> it gets 10/10. The only complaint I might have is speed when it comes to
> processing larger, more complex templates. I did read somewhere that you
> were going to convert to SAX at some point. Will this improve performance?

Actually I think it would make things far worse speedwise. Are you
enabling both disk and memory caches?

The only thing that's really slowing down Petal at the moment is the
translation of Petal's queries/like/this into $queries->like()->{this}.

Speaking about competition, it is an area in which the Template Toolkit
is really good because its stash engine has been entirely rewritten in
XS.

Mind you, with a bit of work it should be possible to get Petal to use
Template Toolkit's XS engine if it's available... should I consider
doing that as the next item on my TODO list?

<advertisement informative="true">

And now for a bit of shameless ad... I won't do any serious work on
Petal for a little longer because I'm currently working on a triple
store module (a .01 version is on CPAN in my home directory) on which I
intend to build a nice queriable object persistency layer which
hopefully will be the perfect complement for developing web applications
with Petal :-)

</advertisement>

Best Regards,
--