[Petal] Apache AxKit

jhiver at mkdoc.com jhiver at mkdoc.com
Wed Feb 26 01:38:16 GMT 2003

Hi William,

I can't seem to be able to get sleep tonight so I might as well answer now
:)

> > I don't think they have yet -- Jean-Michel was contacted a few weeks
> > ago by Matt Sergeant regarding intergration of Petal with AxKit, I
> > don't know where they got to, Jean-Michel will no doubt be able to
> > answer this tomorrow.

I have made the changes that Matt asked me to and they have been there since
0.85. I have send a reply back to Matt but so far had no response. So the
best way to speed things up is to write to Matt and tell him how cool both
AxKit and Petal are and how great it would be to have them working together
and that if he's got any question on Petal, its maintainer is very keen on
helping :)

> Thanks for the feedback Chris. I keep forgetting that you guys do CMS
> work at MKDoc. I've looked over your website but there is no fee
> structure. I'm looking to setup a CMS system for a non-profit
> organization here in the States. Can you give me some rough estimate of
> what the costs would be for a single site? There's no point in me moving
> forward with MKDoc if my client won't be able to afford it.

Another thing is what your customer actually needs.

I think what MKDoc is _very_ good at producing metadata-rich, highly
accessible and usable websites.
With Perl 5.8 another thing it got really good at is multilingual support,
and it's going to get only better.

So if your client doesn't give a damn about these things, there's probably
better software packages out
there: Bricolage, HTML::Mason, AxKit, etc. Do a search for 'Perl CMS' on
google :)

Note that at the moment MKDoc uses Petal only partly, but I am in the
process of switching everything
to Petal. However MKDoc is a big piece of software (for a Perl script) so
this takes a bit of time!

The Roadmap for the software is:

* convert everything to petal
* implement document copy (on top of move)
* implement 'hidden / unpublished' documents
* implement versionning / rollback
* find some decent funding to open-source everything :)

Apologies to people on the list who don't give a rip about MKDoc.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.