[Petal] Bug report

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 15:28:01 +0100

> Can you include a pointer in your docs to a basic XML tutorial which helps
> users grasp this format? It seems that if I knew more about XML, I would
> have caught that syntax error myself. Of course, those of us not familiar
> with XML are probably using TAL. However, if you or anyone else has any
> suggestions for a tutorial that would help explain the above syntax, I'd
> be most obliged.

I have really no idea on how I've learned XML!!! Probably because of the
friendly standard freaks that hang around in this company :-). I
probably also read a couple of tutorials... in French.

Anyhow, I reckon if you go to google.com and type in 'XML Tutorial'
you're likely to find something interesting. A very good site is xml.com
as well, it's got loads of Perl stuff in it.

I'm quite glad because Perl was quite behind XML a couple of years ago,
and now it's one of the most advanced language on this topic. CPAN
pawaaa :-)

> That sounds like a good idea, for now. I agree that doubling encoding
> sounds like it's asking for trouble. I still think it's going to take
> users awhile to get familiar with this notion of Petal rewriting their
> templates. I think it would be helpful to make this statement in the
> Summary section of the docs just so folks are aware that their templates
> are being completely reparsed and rebuilt by the INPUT and OUTPUT
> libraries.

Well, I don't think it's that much of a deal... Yes Petal rewrites your
files, but then again that's what happens more or less with any
templating system: the output is not the same as the input (which is
fortunate! :-)).

I wrote to Sean M. Burke (the maintainer of HTML::TreeBuilder) and he
told me that he would add the ability to keep HTML entities unexpanded
to his library.

As for the XML input, I'll have to switch to XML::libXML and SAX, so I'm
not too worried about getting it to work with XML::Parser.

> As always, thanks for the updates!

You're welcome, I really like working on templating systems :-)
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director
  jhiver@mkdoc.com
  +44 (0)114 255 8097