[Petal] Bug report

William McKee william@knowmad.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 12:42:05 -0400

On 3 Sep 2002 at 15:28, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> I have really no idea on how I've learned XML!!! Probably because of the
> friendly standard freaks that hang around in this company :-).

Lucky for you!

> Anyhow, I reckon if you go to google.com and type in 'XML Tutorial'
> you're likely to find something interesting. A very good site is xml.com as
> well, it's got loads of Perl stuff in it.

I'll check it out.

> Well, I don't think it's that much of a deal... Yes Petal rewrites your
> files, but then again that's what happens more or less with any templating
> system: the output is not the same as the input (which is fortunate! :-)).

Ok, we'll see if it becomes a FAQ as more folks begin using the system.

> I wrote to Sean M. Burke (the maintainer of HTML::TreeBuilder) and he
> told me that he would add the ability to keep HTML entities unexpanded to
> his library.

That's great.

> As for the XML input, I'll have to switch to XML::libXML and SAX, so I'm
> not too worried about getting it to work with XML::Parser.

Does switching to libXML and SAX mean that you can set these libraries to
leave HTML entities unexpanded? Since I'm not using XML now, I'm not
worried about it. Just curious...

> You're welcome, I really like working on templating systems :-)

Yeah, they are rather fun. I used to keep a list of all the systems out
there but now that I've found the one that I like, I'm not maintaining
that list anymore!

William

--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration