[Petal] Bug report

William McKee william@knowmad.com
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:08:58 -0400

On 2 Sep 2002 at 16:33, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> There is an error in your test template:
>
>   <?petal:repeat="student students"?>
>
> This should be:
>
>   <?petal:repeat name="student students"?>
>
> Which makes me realize that there is a bug in the documentation :-(

Can you include a pointer in your docs to a basic XML tutorial which helps
users grasp this format? It seems that if I knew more about XML, I would
have caught that syntax error myself. Of course, those of us not familiar
with XML are probably using TAL. However, if you or anyone else has any
suggestions for a tutorial that would help explain the above syntax, I'd
be most obliged.

> As for the &nbsp; entities, both HTML::TreeBuilder and XML::Parser do
> expand them. I do not know how to fix that properly. I could double
> encode everything (i.e &nbsp; => &amp;nbsp;) but I'm pretty sure that
> there would be side effects...
>
> I'll put it in a 'Known Bugs' section for now. Meanwhile if anyone has got
> a hint I'll gladly take it!

That sounds like a good idea, for now. I agree that doubling encoding
sounds like it's asking for trouble. I still think it's going to take
users awhile to get familiar with this notion of Petal rewriting their
templates. I think it would be helpful to make this statement in the
Summary section of the docs just so folks are aware that their templates
are being completely reparsed and rebuilt by the INPUT and OUTPUT
libraries.

I'll retest once you release 0.64.

As always, thanks for the updates!
William

--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration