[Pangloss] UTF-8 input a safe assumption?

Steve Purkis spurkis at mkdoc.com
Tue Apr 1 13:21:57 BST 2003

On Tuesday, April 1, 2003, at 11:47  am, Chris Croome wrote:

> On Tue 01-Apr-2003 at 10:54:14AM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:
>>
>> My preference would be to support only UTF-8 -- it makes the back
>> end much more simple.
>
> I agree.

Good! :)

> The way browsers work is that with forms they send the charset that
> the form is in so as long as all the web forms are UTF-8 then we
> should be OK.
>
> This can also be explicitly set on the form element but AFAIK this
> isn't supported by browsers (I use the accept-charset attribute
> anyhow...):

Right - learn something new every day.  I must remember to stick
that into the templates.

> Another issue is building the glossery from remote pages and at this
> stage I think it is OK to only support UTF-8 remote documents
> (perhaps in the future other stuff could be supported).

Do you mean including a glossary from another page? (eg: include's,
Frames, IFrames, ...)

If so, then yes, I think worrying about character sets here just
confuses the issue.

Also, this isn't the typical usage pattern I had in mind for
Pangloss - I pictured a "Build glossary" kind of link on an MKDoc
page that submitted itself to Pangloss and opened up a new window.
Anyways, though Frames shouldn't be a problem I think includes
would.

-Steve