[Pangloss] UTF-8 input a safe assumption?

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 12:47:39 BST 2003

Hi

On Tue 01-Apr-2003 at 10:54:14AM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:

> My preference would be to support only UTF-8 -- it makes the back
> end much more simple.

I agree.

The way browsers work is that with forms they send the charset that
the form is in so as long as all the web forms are UTF-8 then we
should be OK.

This can also be explicitly set on the form element but AFAIK this
isn't supported by browsers (I use the accept-charset attribute
anyhow...):

  <form
    action="http://mkdoc.com/search.html"
    method="get"
    accept-charset="us-ascii, utf-8"

  http://mkdoc.com/

Another issue is building the glossery from remote pages and at this
stage I think it is OK to only support UTF-8 remote documents
(perhaps in the future other stuff could be supported).