[Pangloss] UTF-8 input a safe assumption?

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 14:43:31 BST 2003

Hi

On Tue 01-Apr-2003 at 12:21:57PM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:

> >Another issue is building the glossery from remote pages and at
> >this stage I think it is OK to only support UTF-8 remote
> >documents (perhaps in the future other stuff could be supported).
>
> Do you mean including a glossary from another page? (eg:
> include's, Frames, IFrames, ...)

No (frames suck!).

> Also, this isn't the typical usage pattern I had in mind for
> Pangloss - I pictured a "Build glossary" kind of link on an MKDoc
> page that submitted itself to Pangloss and opened up a new window.
> Anyways, though Frames shouldn't be a problem I think includes
> would.

The usage I had in mind is one like thew W3C's HTML validator:

1. A GET using a URI of the page to be parsed:

     http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://mkdoc.com/

   For pangloss this could be:

     http://example.org/gloss?uri=http://mkdoc.com/

2. A URI that uses a the HTTP Referer header, like this:

     http://validator.w3.org/check/referer

   The nice thing about this one is that you just need to have a
   link to this address on documents and assuming users haven't
   disabled their HTTP Referer headers it'll work.