[MKSearch-dev] Re: Excellent Jpackage w/Sun Java howto

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Thu May 26 11:25:59 BST 2005

Hi Chris

I hope it's OK that I have copied this the the MKSearch list -- someone
there might have some suggestions...

On Wed 25-May-2005 at 12:03:59 -0700, Chris Weiss wrote:
> I'm working out how to install Java and Ant and Tomcat and ran across
> your excellent howto at
> http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/howto/jpackage-sun-fc3/. I've run into a
> couple of issues I'm hoping you can help shed some light on.

Glad you found that document helpful :-)

> First, it appears that Sun has updated the Java package minor version.
> It's now Java-1.5.0.03. This breaks a few of the wget links (even the
> link on the JPackage site isn't updated yet).

Ah thanks, I'll update that when I get a chance.

> Second, after following those docs, I'm to the point where I would be
> installing the two RPM's I've created:
>
> rpm -Uvh ~/rpms/rpms/i586/java-1.5.0-sun-devel-1.5.0.01-1jpp.i586.rpm \
>             ~/rpms/rpms/i586/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.01-1jpp.i586.rpm
>
> However, my Fedora box complains that libXp.so.6 is needed by
> java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.03-1jpp.i586.
>
> I did a little digging and it appeaars that libXp has been depricated in
> Fedora FC3.
> It can be found in a package
> xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.1-12.FC3.21.ucr.28.0.i386.rpm (which I'm
> having other issues installing).
>
> I'm guessing since this isn't documented, it's probably not supposed to
> be an issue in the first place - If you have a free moment, I dont
> suppose you can point me in the direction of discovering where this
> dependancy came from and if there's a way to solve it that doesn't
> involve installing the deprecated libraries.

Hmm, this does ring a bell, I expect that it's to do with some GUI stuff
in Java perhaps?

I'm not an expert on this, you best bet is probably to ask on the
jpackage list:

All the best