[MKSearch-dev] Re: Excellent Jpackage w/Sun Java howto

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Thu May 26 14:49:49 BST 2005

On 26 May 2005, at 11:25, Chris Croome wrote:

> > I'm guessing since this isn't documented, it's probably not supposed
> > to be an issue in the first place - If you have a free moment, I
> > dont suppose you can point me in the direction of discovering where
> > this dependancy came from and if there's a way to solve it that
> > doesn't involve installing the deprecated libraries.
>
> Hmm, this does ring a bell, I expect that it's to do with some GUI
> stuff in Java perhaps?
>
> I'm not an expert on this, you best bet is probably to ask on the
> jpackage list:

Fedora Core 4 will have Tomcat without any Sun Java dependencies, it
works with the GNU Compiler for Java (GCJ 4.0) and GNU Classpath. FC4
is at test release 3, soon to be final. I haven't tried it, but some
of the guys at JPackage are also working on Fedora Java packaging, so
it's pretty much in step.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/test/3.92/SRPM
S/

See tomcat5-5.0.30-5jpp_4fc.src.rpm

I assume this will identify any dependencies, but it may include a
large part of the system itself I suppose.

These outline instructions are from the Fedora Java list.

mailto:fedora-devel-java-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe

 1. Install a FC4tX box.
 2. yum install tomcat5 tomcat5-webapps tomcat5-admin-webapps
 3. service tomcat5 start
 4. Look at http://localhost:8080/

Quote: "Assuming they know their way around Tomcat all they need to
know to configure it is that CATALINA_HOME is /usr/share/tomcat5."

I found yum rather unfriendly when I tried it, so changed to
synaptic, which I preferred.

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/

If you give this route a shot, I would appreciate it if you could
post a run-through on this list.

Good luck,

Phil

--
MKSearch (alpha)

<URL:http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/>

Free, open source metadata search engine with RDF storage and query.