[MKSearch-dev] Fwd: [philb@ICBL.HW.AC.UK: OpenSearch]

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Mon Mar 21 12:26:47 GMT 2005

On 18 Mar 2005, at 12:37, Chris Croome wrote:

> This looks interesting:
>
>   "OpenSearch is not a search engine -- it is a way for search
>   engines to publish their search results in a standard and accessible
>   format."
>
>   http://opensearch.a9.com/

Chris,

Yes, it's a good idea, it is odd they chose RSS 2.0 as their platform
markup. It has the client support, which makes it easy to adopt, but
its not as interoperable and extensible as RDF would make it.

It is definitely worth having the results format independent of the
presentation layer. This is what I have done with the MKSearch
ResultsRenderer interface; take your results, add an
XhtmlResultsRenderer and presto! Add an RssResultsRenderer and you
have a feed... I think an RDF renderer would be the best option to
share MKSearch results like OpenSearch.

> Though their RSS standard is rather odd (it would have been a lot
> nicer if they had based it on RSS 1.0):
>
>   "OpenSearch RSS 1.0 is an extension to the RSS 2.0 standard"

That's just plain confusing, have they never heard of RSS 1.0?

Best regards,

Phil