Javascript in the Editors Interface [was: Re: [MKDoc-users] Re: Link Components]

Chris Croome chris@mkdoc.com
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:14:05 +0000

Hi

On Tue 05-Feb-2002 at 08:12:52 +0100, Renato Feijó wrote:
> > The problem with this is that we want MKDoc to work in text-mode
> > browsers such as lynx so it _cannot_ depend on Javascript.
>
> But do you really have a large base of text-based browser users?

No, not at the moment, but we really do want it to be as accessible
as possible and some people do use voice browsers that work like lynx
and personally I like to have lynx as an option.

> I think that having a javascript-enabled browser is nowadays an
> acceptable requirement for the editors audience.

So far we _have_ added quite a bit of Javascript to the editors
interface for checking form fields and a very simple HTML editor. I'd be
happy to see more Javascript added to make thinge easier for the
editors, even it they only work in new versions of IE (as the HTML
editor does). However I still think that the interface should still work
for clients with Javascript disabled (as is the case now). Perhaps the
medium term answer would be to to have two different web editor
interfaces.

Chris Croome                                         <chris@mkdoc.com>
MKDoc                                                http://mkdoc.com/