[MKDoc-users] Re: Link Components

Renato Feijó renato@feijo.com
Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:12:52 +0100

> The problem with this is that we want MKDoc to work in text-mode
> browsers such as lynx so it _cannot_ depend on Javascript.

But do you really have a large base of text-based browser users? There are
two different audiences to consider: the larger one, the site visitors, who
would appreciate the whole standard HTML stuff, and a much smaller one, the
web-editors, who deal with the CMS interface. I think that having a
javascript-enabled browser is nowadays an acceptable requirement for the
editors audience. It is as legitimate as requiring MySQL as RDBMS. You can
freely download such browsers to virtually any operating system. You may
think it's not acceptable - and this refers to your business model - but
there's perhaps a better compromise that could be met in order to not
penalize, in terms of usability, the large majority of javascript-enabled
users.

> When MKDoc has the URI it could work out if it's an internal or external
> link and for links to web pages it could automatically fetch the
> content-type, language, title and description of the document -- all of
> these can be present in a anchor element, eg:

>   hreflang="en-gb"
>   type="text/html; charset=8859-1"
>   title="DESCRIPTION">TITLE</a>
>
> These things could then appear on the next screen already pre-filled in
> to allow them to be edited if needed.
>
> Also link checking could be added in the future.

Well, that's a great idea. The rel attribute could also be included in this
output.

Cheers

Renato Feijó
User-experience Architect - Co-founder