[MKDoc-users] Link Components

Chris Croome chris@mkdoc.com
Tue, 5 Feb 2002 13:14:34 +0000

Hi

I've copied this to the MKDoc users list.

On Mon 04-Feb-2002 at 08:07:30 +0100, Renato Feijó wrote:
> > Maybe the way to go would have a button "Add a hyperlink". If some
> > text was selected (and if Javascript is supported by the browser)
> > then it could grab the text and put it as the default "title" in the
> > link box.
>
> That's what I'm talking about.

The problem with this is that we want MKDoc to work in text-mode
browsers such as lynx so it _cannot_ depend on Javascript.

> This is not my point at all. Anyway, take a look into this tool:
>
> http://ibm.digiconcept.net/netautor.basic/

Again pop-up windows and Java are not going to work for all browsers.

What I'd like to see after a user has selected to add a link is a screen
asking them for the URI.

When MKDoc has the URI it could work out if it's an internal or external
link and for links to web pages it could automatically fetch the
content-type, language, title and description of the document -- all of
these can be present in a anchor element, eg:

    hreflang="en-gb"
    type="text/html; charset=8859-1"
    title="DESCRIPTION">TITLE</a>

These things could then appear on the next screen already pre-filled in
to allow them to be edited if needed.

Also link checking could be added in the future.

Chris Croome                                         <chris@mkdoc.com>
MKDoc                                                http://mkdoc.com/