[MKDoc-users] Re: MKDoc test account details

Chris Croome chris@mkdoc.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 14:44:02 +0000

Hi

I've copied this to the MKDoc users list since it's probably the best
place for the discussion.

If you are not on the list you can join it here:

On Sun 03-Feb-2002 at 07:15:03 +0100, Renato Feijó wrote:

> Well, I think that simply writing help pages is recognizing that the system
> is not intuitive to use. And, as it is presented by Florian, it fulfills
> only the initial needs of the beginner user.

Perhaps we should have a help tips option for each user, set to
beginners at first and with a more advanced option and a none option,
like this:

Help tips [ beginners ]
          [ advanced  ]
          [ none      ]

> Manual pages can stand there for those purposes (with all the
> step-by-step how-tos) and beginners should be driven to them. For the
> expert user, however, those hot spots near the form fields could
> contain tips and techniques that provide a way to improve her
> efficiency and productivity, for example.
>
> Help pages are helpful only for a while, or for a punctual need. If
> the the user interface/interaction design is flawed, no help page will
> be of help.  I'd rather spend the time and effort thinking about the
> ways the system could better support the users' tasks and goals...

Agreed.

Chris

--
Chris Croome                                         <chris@mkdoc.com>