[MKDoc-dev] Improving MKDoc Installation

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 16:27:52 BST 2004

On Fri 24-Sep-2004 at 07:24:47AM +0100, Chris Swaine wrote:

> Well as just a humble user and not techie I am now totally lost, so
> will bow out of this! To some degree this re-enforces one of my
> original points which is, who this CMS for?

We don't bundle MKDoc into a one-click easy-install because we have
no need for such a thing ourselves - Whenever I've installed MKDoc a
combined perl/apache/mkdoc package would have just got in the way.

This doesn't mean that it wouldn't be a good idea, it just means we
have to concentrate our time, energy and money on things that make
sense for us.

MKDoc does have a distance to go to make installation easier, but
this will probably be in terms of modularisation, improved makefiles
and test suites.

If you look around at "open source" software, you will find that
making friendly packages is often a separate aggregator role.  As an
example, I build RPM packages of various panoramic photography
tools, even though my code contribution to this stuff has been
minimal:

    http://bugbear.blackfish.org.uk/~bruno/apt/

Chris has begun something similar for MKDoc, he probably could use
some help.

--
Bruno