[MKDoc-dev] Improving MKDoc Installation

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Fri Sep 24 12:28:09 BST 2004

Hi

On Fri 24-Sep-2004 at 07:24:47AM +0100, Chris Swaine wrote:

> Well as just a humble user and not techie I am now totally lost, so
> will bow out of this! To some degree this re-enforces one of my
> original points which is, who this CMS for? Who are you targetting it
> at - who are your actual users and what are your drivers? There is
> always a risk that it will never get rolled out to the masses as it is
> fundementally a developers project which will just remain in developer
> land! Do you make the product fit the user - or the user fit the
> product?

Basically it's only PHP applications that can simply be installed with
cheap hosting accounts -- without rewriting MKDoc from scratch it isn't
going to be able to be installed in situations like this.

One other option that is easy to set up these days is running a web
server at the end of a ADSL / cable connection -- all this requires is a
moderate spec computer running Linux and this is something that would be
doable for many community / ngo type organisations as many of them must
have ADSL / cable connections by now.

Sam's suggesting of a generic mod_perl application installer is a great
one and it is something that many projects like slashcode and others
could benefit from and it would make the setting up of a MKDoc server a
lot easier.