[MKDoc-dev] Events Component, pull down menus

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Wed Oct 20 17:18:36 BST 2004

Hi

On Wed 20-Oct-2004 at 11:48:53AM -0400, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Which browsers does MKDoc support exactly?

Well the minimum these days for the CSS is really IE 5.x/ 6.x on
Windows.

The original version of IE4 and NN4 are OK but they get no CSS, the
last versions of IE 4.x are problematic because they do get some of
the CSS and don't do it very well.

However I have taken the view that if people are using these
ancient, unsupported, bug and security hole ridden browsers then
having things not work is perhaps not so bad as it might encourage
them to upgrade ;-)

> Do you have a browser farm to test new releases against?

I have a large number of VMWare Windows machines that I use for
this.

I use my desktop machine for testing with Mozilla / Opera / Konq.

I _should_ do more testing with IE on Mac's -- this is generally the
biggest problem browser these days and although MS have abandoned it
and it's no longer supported by them it is still probably used
enough to matter... for the moment...

> I'm Mac-less at the moment but I could see about addressing that (cue
> dreams of shiny brushed aluminum and candy-colored buttons).

Hehe, the problem was on an ancient OS8 machine -- I don't think it
is something that we probably need to worry about these days...

> > This is how the template for the properties of a document does the
> > language select list:
> >
> >   <select>
> >     <option
> >       selected="selected"
> >       petal:if="self/selected_lang"
> >       petal:attributes="value self/selected_lang/value;
> >                         title self/selected_lang/value;"
> >       petal:content="self/selected_lang/label"
> >     >English</option>
> >     <option
> >       petal:repeat="lang self/unselected_langs"
> >       petal:attributes="value lang/value;
> >                         title lang/value;"
> >       petal:content="lang/label"
> >     >Klingon</option>
> >   </select>
> >
> > Which seems to be more-or-less how you suggested doing it?
>
> This looks fine but it doesn't meet Bruno's requirement to put the
> labels (month names) into the template for i18n.  I'm not sure how to
> do that and still yank the selected one up to the top of the list.

Hmm, good point... Perhaps we should not worry any more about the
old IE Mac bug and just use selected="selected" for the option that
is the default and not worry about putting this item at the top of
the list.