[webarch-wp] WordPress critical security releases

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 21:03:44 GMT 2014

Hi

If you are running a supported version of WordPress it should
automatically update to a secure version, but please check or ask us to
if you are unsure:

  WordPress 4.0.1 is now available. This is a critical security release
  for all previous versions and we strongly encourage you to update your
  sites immediately.

  Sites that support automatic background updates will be updated to
  WordPress 4.0.1 within the next few hours. If you are still on
  WordPress 3.9.2, 3.8.4, or 3.7.4, you will be updated to 3.9.3, 3.8.5,
  or 3.7.5 to keep everything secure. (We don’t support older versions,
  so please update to 4.0.1 for the latest and greatest.)

  WordPress versions 3.9.2 and earlier are affected by a critical
  cross-site scripting vulnerability, which could enable anonymous users
  to compromise a site.

  https://wordpress.org/news/2014/11/wordpress-4-0-1/

Also please see the last email to this list regarding brute force
attacks, we are still seeing a lot of these running against WordPress
sites on our shared servers:

  https://lists.webarch.co.uk/pipermail/webarch-wp/2014-November/000002.html

All the best

Webarchitects Co-operative