[TripleStore] Re: SWAD-Europe Report: Mapping Semantic Web Data with RDBMSes

Dave Beckett dave.beckett at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 13:54:34 GMT 2003

>>>Jean-Michel Hiver said:
> > > Maybe the app that uses TripleStore would be interesting to see :)
> >
> > It sure would! We haven't yet created one and I'm not aware of
> > anyone using it yet -- we do plan to use it to build applications
> > with when we get around to it :-)
>
> I really want to use TripleStore in order to create a persistency layer
> for Perl objects... I find the triple model very interesting because of
> good query polymorphic support and the 'no maintenance' database schema
> facilities it provides.
>
> I am yet to be convinced by RDF... To me it seems like an overly
> complicated syntax to represent a simple concept. So I don't think I'll
> mess with generating or parsing RDF, and if I'll do it will be in a
> different module.

Sigh.  The usual confusion.  Stop looking at the angle brackets.  RDF
is not it's XML syntax.  It is triples.  Here:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-rdf-concepts-20030123/#section-data-model

Easy.  Fits on 1 slide.

There is an XML syntax, but don't worry about that, there are parsers
and you don't have to care about the details.  Writing RDF's XML
syntax is easy.

Dave