[Petal] Who is using Petal::Parser::HTB?

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Thu Jan 20 22:04:24 GMT 2005

Quick straw vote:

  Are you using Petal::Parser::HTB?

Background Info:

When Petal was upgraded to v2.00, the backend parser was switched from
the old HTML::TreeBuilder (for HTML docs) to the shiny new MKDoc::XML.
This new parser required all templates to be valid XML.

For those folks who had been using Petal since the early days and were
not yet writing valid XHTML templates, Jean-Michel created the
Petal::Parser::HTB module to allow for continuing to use Petal with
te old parser which let us keep using our invalid XML templates.

I have finally tracked down a problem that has been plaguing me with
errant Acirc characters appearing in front of my HTML entities. It has
to do with the way Petal reads in data files (in utf8 format) and sends
the results to HTML::TreeBuilder (which seems to cough up these extra
chars when handling data which has been read in through PerlIO; not just
utf8 as I had previously thought).

While tracking down this error, it became apparent to me that if you are
using P::P::HTB in a persistent environment such as mod_perl, you are
going to have all of your documents parsed by HTML::TreeBuilder. I do
not think this should be a problem and have not noticed any other
issues with using HTB.

William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.