[Petal] Stripping XML declaration

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 12:42:12 GMT 2005

Hi

On Thu 13-Jan-2005 at 05:33:26PM -0500, William McKee wrote:

> I'm not sure I see why you'd be putting together fragments which
> would have XML declarations in them. If you use Metal

Doh! Yes, of course, it was a problem with the old includes syntax,
it's not an issue with Metal :-)

> it looks to me that you would be able to define slots inside of
> your valid XHTML/XML documents then pull those into your master
> document without getting the XML declarations. However, I've only
> barely begun to try using Metal macros so may very well not
> understand what you are trying to accomplish.

All that is accomplished with the processing instructions is having
the charset specified in each file, eg:

  <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

Which wasn't actually necessary for what I was doing but various xml
processing tools do prefer it to be present...