[Petal] Stripping XML declaration

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 11:35:57 GMT 2005

Hi

The only reason that I don't use XML declerations is that Petal
doesn't remove them -- when used with XHTML they only cause a
problem for old versions of IE on Macs and these browsers probably
don't matter these days, however the problem I have had isn't with
them at the top of XHTML documents but when you are using a lot of
macros it makes documents invalid XHTML to have them in the body of
the documents...

IMHO when putting fragments together Petal should remove them from
everywhere but the top of documents and perhaps Petal should also
use them for what they are intended -- character sets... I did raise
this with Jean-Michel ages and ages ago but it wasn't something that
interested him...