[Petal] UTF8 under Perl 5.6.1

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Mon Feb 28 15:47:55 GMT 2005

Hi!

> Can someone tell me if UTF8 works reliably under Perl 5.6.1? My initial
> experience is that it doesn't (I get the white question mark inside a
> diamond character instead of nbsp chars). Changing the output header
> back to iso8859-1 made those go away. What is the recommned output
> header when using Petal 2+ under Perl 5.6.1?

One of the main problem I experience (also with perl 5.8.x) is that
Petal doesn't always send his output in UTF-8, regardless of what you
specify in its configuration and regardless of any "use utf8" and "use
encoding 'utf8'". To fix this I subclassed Petal (after JM Hiver
suggestion) as follows:

package Petal::AlwaysUTF8;
use strict;
use base qw /Petal/;
use Encode;

sub process
{
    my $self = shift;
    my $res = $self->SUPER::process (@_);
    return Encode::encode ('utf8', $res);
    #return $res;
}

You then use this instead of Petal when iniziazing your Petal object. It
will output everything in UTF-8.

Hope this helps!

	Michele.

--