[Petal] More on entities and  - SOLVED

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Wed May 5 08:54:33 BST 2004

Hi!

> If I specify the charset in the call to header(), all is well.
> Personally, I think this is a bit heavy-handed of CGI.pm to force the
> content-type. I'm not convinced it is a bug but it's darn close!

CGI.pm documentation reports this:

       The -charset parameter can be used to control the charac-
       ter set sent to the browser.  If not provided, defaults to
       ISO-8859-1.  As a side effect, this sets the charset()
       method as well.

I think it's somehow fair, as Perl's default charset (when it doesn't
upgrade automatically to UTF-8) is latin1 (ISO-8859-1). Hopefully,
when Perl will definitely switch to UTF-8, or will provide a
clearer way to decide the charset one wants to use, CGI.pm will just
do the same. ;-)

	Talk to you soon, Michele.

--
Michele Beltrame