[Petal] More on entities and Â

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Tue May 4 18:23:34 BST 2004

Hii!

> I guess I'm stuck with overloading the process function and forcing
> iso-8859-1 mode since I can't seem to convince my Apache server to
> either set the Content-Type header to my preference. Perhaps one day
> I'll figure out which command in my settings file was causing the
> different behavior.

You probably need to overload the process() function anyhow to ensure
that the output is UTF-8. Apache can only "tell the browser" that
you are sending UTF-8, but not make you really send UTF-8. ;-)
Moreover, this is easy to do from the script instead of from Apache
configuration with:

print "Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8;\n\n";

or, if you're using CGI.pm:

print $q->header(
    -charset => 'UTF-8'
);