[Petal] Question about Petal::Mail, aka stupid P::M tricks

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Fri Jan 16 23:17:38 GMT 2004

>The <pre> wrap, albeit a shortcut,
>looks like it could still be viable quick way to use XML email as if it
>were a plain text file.

The problem, you see, is when you have a ${variable}. If ${variable} was
"some very very very long text", then your text would go beyond the
recommended maximum 68 characters.

When you use <p> tags, Petal::Mail wraps the resulting text for you,
much like a web browser would do. When you use <pre>, it doesn't (again,
much like a web browser).

The format=flowed is just a way of telling software such as mozilla mail
"actually, you can wrap this text depending on the size of the window
you're displaying it in". format=flowed is simple: each carriage return
is preceeded with a space.

Of course you can use <pre>. But then:

This
might
appear
like
this
even
if
you
have
much
wider
window.
Darn!

>Heck, we could even add an option to have P::M
>wrap text inside of pre tags for that matter. Of course, I image all of
>these suggestions probably abuse XML in ways that make purists cringe.

Well, TIMTOWTDI. I use all <p>, <pre> and definition lists because I
find them all useful. Do what you think is best for you.

I think this is pretty much it, although I'm not the mail expert here.
I'm sure Bruno who's our sysadmin / email guru will correct me if I've
made any mistakes :)

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.