[Petal] Petal::Mail 0.2 released

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Wed Jan 7 01:51:04 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 06:38:57PM +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> For those like me who are twisted enough to construct and send beautiful
> text emails generated from XML templates, here is the new mount of
> Petal::Mail.

You know, I resisted this module for awhile thinking the same thing--who
would want to write email templates in XML format? However, upon further
reflection, I decided it may not be too crazy as it allows complete
control of the headers and makes a very neat format for storing emails
that can be edited via GUI (granted this is theoretical as I haven't
actually done this yet).

I have been happily using the Mail::Sendmail module for years but
recently ran into some header issues which could only be resolved by
patching the source since this module takes care of setting/removing
several headers[1]. It'd have been much easier with Petal::Mail.

> It does pretty much the same thing as version 0.1, except that it has
> less bugs since I finally had some time to apply William's patches :)

Wishlist item: Use Net::SMTP to handle all mail sending instead of
relying on a local MTA (which prob. isn't available on some platforms).
Emmy Lou Harris has several decent articles about sending email and
email attachments via Perl[2].

> As for Petal 2.x, I have found new annoying bugs which needs sorting
> (not mentionning the backwards compatibility modules), so watch for a
> new release soon.

Hopefully, that will fix the annoying conversion of   characters to
the funky A which I reported a couple weeks ago.

Happy New Year,
William

[1] http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=3714
[2] http://perl.about.com/cs/email/