[Petal] Petal to depend on MKDoc::XML at some point

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Wed Sep 10 13:19:11 BST 2003

Hi List,

Sorry for not being too active on Petal these days.

I have been busy refactoring MKDoc XML package and making it a CPAN
module (called MKDoc::XML). This is a very time consuming process since
it needs tests, docs, makefiles and all that.

Once I am happy with MKDoc::XML I indent to write a Petal parser using
MKDoc::XML library. I will then remove XML::Parser and HTML::TreeBuilder
dependencies and make them optional modules which can be installed
separately.

The reason for this is:

a/ Petal will be able to run on top of MKDoc::XML set of tools, which
are written in pure perl. The reason for which Petal isn't in
ActiveState repository is because HTML::TreeBuilder isn't, hopefully
it'll fix that.

b/ We plan to open-source more MKDoc code in the future. Both Petal and
MKDoc::XML are part of this will. For consistency it makes sense for
Petal to depend on MKDoc::XML since I think that's doable.

That being said, everything should be backwards compatible.
For those interested there is a MKDoc-XML 0.1 pre-version on CPAN.

Building a better web - http://www.mkdoc.com/