[Petal] Petal 0.87 Released | Performance | Testing required

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Mon Mar 17 17:30:54 GMT 2003

Hi List,

Mark pointed out performance problems with Petal... So I have built a
pretty simple test, which consists of slurping all the words from
/usr/share/dict/words into an array and getting Petal to display a list
of those words.

Shocking horror, test took a whopping 36 seconds to run on my machine!

I took a look to Template::Stash and decided to reimplement Petal::Hash
using a similar architecture... now the response time is much speedier:
about 4 seconds with all caching turned off.

Of course it was only a simple test, but hopefully these changes should
provide a serious performance boost over previous versions of Petal.

I managed to get the test suite to pass, so I assume I didn't introduce
any bugs... However a test suite is in no way a proof, so the sooner you
test it the better :) Please upgrade quickly so that I can fix any
problem which would arise.

Building a better web - http://www.mkdoc.com/