[Petal] [HELP] Anybody has experience with parsing?

Grant McLean grant at mclean.net.nz
Wed Jun 11 07:58:23 BST 2003

Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
 > Hi list,
 >
 > I'm trying to build a better parser for Petal TALES expressions.
 > Anyone has already done some serious recursive parsing with Perl?  Have
 > you got any examples, commented if possible, that I could play with?
 >
 > Ideally I'd like to be able to build a parsed-tree of objects and walk
 > the tree to resolve the expression, or even better turn the tree into
 > Perl code in order to speed things up.
 >
 > Any ideas or examples? I'm a bit stuck :)

I haven't got any code of my own to offer, but the similarity between
TALES and XPath struck me.  So perhaps it might be worth digging into
Matt Sergeant's XML::XPath module which is pure Perl or Barrie
Slaymaker's XML::Filter::Dispatcher which does a subset of XPath he's
called 'EventPath'.

Regards
Grant