[Petal] [BUG] can't set variables to static values

Steve Purkis spurkis at mkdoc.com
Mon Jun 2 12:02:44 BST 2003

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 08:58  am, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

>> I agree utility functions are a good idea (I've introduced a few in
>> the
>> project I'm working on, such as a date string formatting tool).  As an
>> aside, I think that that's one place where Petal suffers from an
>> out-of-the box point of view - it needs more standard plugins.
>
> Well, I agree and I disagree!
>
> Petal doesn't need more standard plugins, Petal needs more optional
> CPAN
> plugins.

Yeah, but from an end-user's point of view (ie: somebody who doesn't
know Perl too well) adding plugins from CPAN will be difficult.  That's
assuming they even know about them...

Still, maybe the thing to do is to write the plugins for CPAN, and
integrate the most commonly used ones into Petal down the line.

> Petal will automatically look in @INC and import named
> Petal::Hash::<SomeThing> and assign it to 'something:', so anybody can
> quite easily write Petal plugins. Once the plugin is installed on the
> system Petal will pick it up as if by magick!
>
> So everybody is quite welcome to write plenty of wonderful, useful
> plugins and upload them on CPAN :)

Point taken :)

-Steve