[Petal] attributes question

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Sun Jul 27 20:00:01 BST 2003

On Sunday 27 July 2003 18:36, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> > or anything which is equivalent to that. It's possible that XHTML never
> > requires attrs with empty values but there are uses for them, alt="" being
> > one.
>
> What's the use of an empty 'alt' tag?

Someone on the list gave the example that img must have an alt attr but
perhaps it's a pointless decoration, so you want to make it "". I'm not sure
about this as maybe it should have an alt="pointless decoration" but maybe
that would be read out by web 2 speech converters which would be bad.

> > Also, there are other XML doctypes where they are common, including
> > anything that tries to represent program data structures like SOAP or
> > XML-RPC.
>
> Maybe... I know I'm a bit boring but I am yet to see a real world
> example where the current behavior of Petal would be a big showstopper.

Same here but we can't say "Petal can generate any valid XML" if it can't.

> It's quite a sensible argument. My main concern is backwards
> compatibility and also laziness :) But I see your point and I might just
> implement it for the next release of Petal.

it's up to you entirely,