[Petal] attributes question

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Sun Jul 27 18:34:56 BST 2003

> or anything which is equivalent to that. It's possible that XHTML never
> requires attrs with empty values but there are uses for them, alt="" being
> one.

What's the use of an empty 'alt' tag?

> Also, there are other XML doctypes where they are common, including
> anything that tries to represent program data structures like SOAP or
> XML-RPC.

Maybe... I know I'm a bit boring but I am yet to see a real world
example where the current behavior of Petal would be a big showstopper.

> have different meanings in XML, we should be able to generate both of them.
> The difference between them corresponds well with the difference between ""
> and undef in Perl. There are 2 XML concepts we need to represent and we have
> 2 distinct Perl conepts that we can use to represent them so why not map them
> one to one?

It's quite a sensible argument. My main concern is backwards
compatibility and also laziness :) But I see your point and I might just
implement it for the next release of Petal.