[Petal] Petal 0.86 Released

Ronald Hayden rhayden at apple.com
Wed Feb 26 10:44:27 GMT 2003

My team is in the middle of completely revamping the developer
documentation publishing process.  When our first complete pass at this
is released, I'll be sure to send some pointers to the results and
summarize what we're doing.

I suspect this may all get wrapped up into a talk at some point...we're
doing some fun stuff!

I'll just mention now that I had stayed away from templating and
transformation systems for quite a while, because they tended to be
comprised of a lot of programming-like syntax and added a lot of custom
tags or processing tags, and our templates are maintained by
graphics/layout professionals who are not programmers.  Not to mention
my strong belief that simplicity is key to maintainability.

However, when a team-member found Petal, we adopted it within 24 hours,
completely rewriting our core tools around it... because we could do
almost everything we needed by adding "condition" and "repeat"
attributes to our own tags, not having to add a single custom tag or
processing tag to get the job done.

Petal perfectly fits my requirements for our mission critical
publishing tools, and I'm picky!

(Note that I'm not allowed to to be a spokeperson for my employer, or
to endorse products/tools in their name, even when I want to, so my
comments will have to stay on the mailing list...)

  -- Ron