[Petal] Re: [use Perl] Stories for 2002-10-15

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 17:37:02 +0100

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:53:12AM -0400, William McKee wrote:
> >
> > What do you think of the issues that Barrie brought up? I kinda have to
> > agree with #1, but #2 seems irrelevant. I didn't understand the last
> > paragraph which I've inserted below. What are PI's?

> I have to agree with both of these points. Using a top level name
> means there is nothing telling people what Petal is a part of.  Petal
> could mean anything. I know that the CPAN maintainers actively
> discourage top level names. Since they provide such a useful service
> to the community, I think that it is important to listen to their
> wishes. HTML::Petal (or XML::Petal?) let's people know that it is web
> markup related and allows the editors to put it into the HTML
> category. ( http://search.cpan.org/modlist/World_Wide_Web/HTML ) This
> would also be helpful for promoting it since a user can stumble upon
> it while browsing the HTML section.

I did discuss that on the modules@perl.org list. I was ready to go for
XML::Template but people thought that XML:: namespace should contain
purely SAX based XML tools that process only XML.

Then there is the option of HTML::Petal but Petal also processes XML so
it's not really relevant.

Someone pointed out Template::Petal but I don't want to use that simply
because the Template Toolkit uses the namespace already and I don't want
People to think that Petal is related to the template toolkit (other
than being a templating system), which is only fair I think.

Basically if the template toolkit was in Template::Toolkit then I'd have
no problem using Template::Petal. However the template toolkit uses
'Template', and yes I _do_ have a problem with that. I mean, why not put
up a CPAN module called XML.pm while you're at it?

Thus, Petal it is, Petal it will be.
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director
  jhiver@mkdoc.com