[Petal] Re: [use Perl] Stories for 2002-10-15

Christopher R. Baker cbaker@cbaker.org
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:18:53 -0700

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 10:53:12AM -0400, William McKee wrote:

> What do you think of the issues that Barrie brought up? I kinda have to
> agree with #1, but #2 seems irrelevant. I didn't understand the last
> paragraph which I've inserted below. What are PI's?

I have to agree with both of these points. Using a top level name means there is nothing telling people what Petal is a part of.  Petal could mean anything. I know that the CPAN maintainers actively discourage top level names. Since they provide such a useful service to the community, I think that it is important to listen to their wishes. HTML::Petal (or XML::Petal?) let's people know that it is web markup related and allows the editors to put it into the HTML category. ( http://search.cpan.org/modlist/World_Wide_Web/HTML ) This would also be helpful for promoting it since a user can stumble upon it while browsing the HTML section.

I'm curious about the whole PI thing. I'd have to play with them to see the point. It seems to be directed twords the documentation mentioning the need to escape quotes in quoted PI attributes.

=>Chris

--
Christopher R. Baker
Tune Smith / Programmer