[Petal] Re: Petal wish list

William McKee william@knowmad.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:11:17 -0400

On 27 Jul 2002 at 16:46, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> I have just added a test case for it, and it all works fine. More
> exactly, you omited a '=' sign in the petal:if attribute, so of course
> Petal behaves a bit strangely...

Ahh, yes, that is a problem.

> I think fixing HTML is far beyond Petal's scope, so in this case I'd
> argue it's a template bug.

I agree. It'd be helpful to include a section in the docs about debugging templates. It
seems that the TAL format introduces many more possibilities for subtle template
bugs than I've seen in other template languages. Usu. the bugs are big enough to
cause the page to display incorrectly or the code not to work. This bug was
particularly subtle.

> So I'm going to repeat one last time: HTML TIDY IS YOUR BEST MATE!

Thanks. You may have to remind us again, though <g>. It'd certainly be helpful to
add the capability to Petal to run templates through HtmlTidy before processing....
This would be useful during development but would obviously be best to remove
before putting the code into production.

Thanks,
William
--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration