[Petal] Pental Internals

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 14:56:10 +0100

On Mon 29-Jul-2002 at 08:34:48AM -0400, William McKee wrote:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> I would second your suggestion but amend it a bit knowing how busy Jean-Michel is
> at the moment ;->. First I'd suggest to you to read the code. It's clear and not too
> difficult to figure out what's happening. What I think would be helpful is a roadmap
> of how a template gets read, parsed and filled out. From what Jean-Michel has told
> me, it sounds pretty straight-forward once you see the flow.
>
> As for error messages, it would be helpful if Petal was a bit more friendly in this
> regard. For instance, when I use taintmode in my Perl scripts and include a file
> without taintmode turned on, I invariably exit my script prematurely without a notice
> that it occurred while including a file (Jean-Michel: perhaps it'd be good to take the
> taintmode from the new command and apply that to all includes).
>
> Also, when I have an error in my template, it'd be helpful if Petal could indicate
> where that error occurrs in the template so I can find it and fix it. This may be tricky
> b/c, to my understanding, Petal canonicalizes a template before filling it.

Thanks. It's true that I am very busy, I didn't think that Petal would
interest anyone before it was really mature, and well, I was wrong :-)

I'll take some time to set up a website based on our own web content
management system. I'll set up accounts for whoever wants to contribute
a bit of examples, documentation, user cases, etc.

Indeed it does not mean I'm going to stop documenting Petal, but maybe
the tutorials and examples should be on a website and the 'reference' in
the perldoc.

How does that sound?
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director