[Petal] Pental Internals

William McKee william@knowmad.com
Mon, 29 Jul 2002 08:34:48 -0400

Hi Lucas,

I would second your suggestion but amend it a bit knowing how busy Jean-Michel is
at the moment ;->. First I'd suggest to you to read the code. It's clear and not too
difficult to figure out what's happening. What I think would be helpful is a roadmap
of how a template gets read, parsed and filled out. From what Jean-Michel has told
me, it sounds pretty straight-forward once you see the flow.

As for error messages, it would be helpful if Petal was a bit more friendly in this
regard. For instance, when I use taintmode in my Perl scripts and include a file
without taintmode turned on, I invariably exit my script prematurely without a notice
that it occurred while including a file (Jean-Michel: perhaps it'd be good to take the
taintmode from the new command and apply that to all includes).

Also, when I have an error in my template, it'd be helpful if Petal could indicate
where that error occurrs in the template so I can find it and fix it. This may be tricky
b/c, to my understanding, Petal canonicalizes a template before filling it.

Perhaps if you explained what you wanted to do, we could suggest how to do it.

William

--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration