[Petal] Another rewrite problem in Petal

William McKee william@knowmad.com
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:49:07 -0400

On 29 Aug 2002 at 15:22, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Effectively it is a bug. Have you tried to change $Petal::INPUT to XML
> instead of HTML?

No, I hadn't. However, I just tried it and the same thing happens.

> I must admit that I never use Javascript, thus I could not spot that
> problem. Kill javascript!!! :-) I suppose that the problem is for
> attributes like onClick and onMouseOver...

Well, I agree that form should follow function but my clients tend to see
only the form. Javascript is only bad if used incorrectly. I only use it
to enhance a page (ie, form pre-checking before sending to server to save
some bandwidth and server cpu resources, formatting, provide a pop-up
window, eye-candy). And I always provide a non-Javascript way to do
things. In the case of a pop-up window, if JS is not enabled, then the
same info gets shown in the main browser window.

Fortunately, CSS is beginning to take over some of the duty of JS. For
example, I just created some nice looking buttons using CSS. Very easy,
very functional and much simpler than JS or Java (which is what the
original buttons that mine mimic were built in). Take a look at
http://leadership.queens.edu for an example (there's only one button on
the far left on this page). CSS also scales back better than JS.

Actually, IE and Opera don't appear to care about the standard tags. It's
some custom code I use to format phone fields, etc. which is having
problems with case. I've changed all the tags to lowercase as a
workaround.

> I never used it. I would rather use bugzilla, but for the moment the
> mailing list is just doing fine. I can go in my Petal folder, do a limit on
> the letters 'bug', and bang, I have my TODO list :-)

> It's a shame that CPAN is even *MORE* wrecked than it used to be.

Yeah, I don't understand it. They had a nice, simple system which has now
grown complex and buggy. It's a textbook example of Murphy's Law of
Computing---
	"A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have evolved
from a simpler system that worked just fine."

> Anyway thanks a lot for your test cases!
> I'll try to find sometime to figure out what's going on...

Thanks!
William

--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration